Dental implants are a great way to permanently replace missing teeth. However, the key to making sure they do last a lifetime is properly taking care of them following the procedure. Immediately following the dental implant surgery, the Jacksonville Center for Prosthodontics & Implant Dentistry will provide you with a list of post-op procedures and what to expect.
- There may be some pain following the procedure. You can take a pain killer to help with the pain, but if the pain does not regress within a few days following the procedure, you should contact Jacksonville Center for Prosthodontics & Implant Dentistry at your earliest convenience.
- Hot foods and drinks should be avoided for the first 24-48 hours following the procedure as they aid in increased bleeding.
- It is important to consume plenty of fluids following the procedure and soft foods such as yogurt and foods should be eaten in the first week after the procedure. No drinks should be consumed by straws.
- Brushing can take place following the surgery only if the area was not apart of the surgical site. Brushing can begin on the surgical site a few days after the procedure.
- To keep the mouth clean, it is important to use mouthwash twice a day after the surgery for about 1 week. This will help keep the surgical sites clean.
- To speed up the healing process, saline rinses using 1 cup of water and one teaspoon of salt can be performed 3-4 times a day.
Once the initial healing process is completed, it is important to continuously care for your implants. Dental implants cause a patient to have a higher risk of inflammation or bone loss if there is a large deposit of plaque, which is why it is extremely important to maintain good oral hygiene. It is also recommended that dentist visits happen regularly (every 3 months or so) for the first 1-2 years after the dental implant procedure. Jacksonville Center for Prosthodontics & Implant Dentistry will provide you with all the additional details and short and long term care techniques following your procedure.
Contact our offices in Jacksonville, FL to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rodriguez.